Electrical Engineer (NOC 2133 / 21310)
It is possible to work as an Electrical Engineer without a formal 4 year degree qualifications. However, many employers prefer individuals to have qualifications in the field of Electrical, Electronics or Systems Engineering.
In addition, the following qualifications are recommended and may be required:
- A qualification in Electrical with a focus on development of electrical circuits/transmission. This could be a diploma in electrical/electronics, or a Bachelor’s degree majoring in Electrical/Electronics/Communication.
- Qualification in Industrial/Instrumentation, may be accepted only if, a professional engineer has work experience in highly relevant domain.
- Usually, 3 year diploma holders are considered under “2241 / 22310 – Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians”
Electrical Engineer skills
- Determining the type and arrangement of circuits, transformers, circuit-breakers, transmission lines and other electrical equipment.
- Design building systems in accordance with the requirements of applicable codes and standards.
- Interpreting specifications, drawings, standards and regulations relating to electrical equipment.
- Designing and installing control and signalling equipment for road, rail and air traffic.
- Develop maintenance and operating standards for electrical and electronic systems and equipment
- May specialise in research in areas such as power system and transmission systems, transformers, switchgear and electric motors, telemetry and control systems.
Electrical Engineer responsibilities
Designs, research, develops and supervises the manufacture, installation, operation and maintenance of electrical equipment, machines and systems.
Particular responsibilities often include:
- Electrical design for residential, commercial or industrial installations
- Electrical power generation and transmission
- Commitment to safety, Investigate electrical or electronic failures
- Supervise technicians, technologists, programmers, analysts and other engineers
- Prepare material cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for construction or maintenance
- Meeting both technical and consumer needs.
Median Wages: CAD 45.13 / hour