Metallurgical and Materials Engineer (NOC 2142 / 21322)
Following qualifications are recommended and may be required:
- A qualification in Material/Chemical with a focus on development or improvement of chemical engineering processes, reactions and materials. This could be a bachelor or masters level degree.
- Three/Four year qualification under Metallurgy, Extractive Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering, Metallurgy and Minerals Processing, Minerals Processing are considered as relevant education.
- Diploma based profiles are usually considered under technician role.
- Ensuring correct materials and equipment are used and that they conform to specifications
- Conduct studies on the properties and characteristics of materials and design, develop and specify processes for moulding, shaping, forming and thermal treatment of metals, alloys and metallic systems, ceramics, semiconducting and other materials
- Design, develop and specify processes for moulding, forming and thermal treatment of metals, alloys, ceramics and other materials
- Conferring with producers of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, cements and elastomers, during the investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications
- Reviewing product failure data and implementing laboratory tests to establish or reject possible causes, and advising on ways to overcome any problems
Researches, develops, controls and provides advice on processes used in extracting metals from their ores, and processes used for casting, alloying, heat treating or welding refined metals, alloys and other materials to produce commercial metal products or develop new alloys and processes.
Investigates the properties of metals, ceramics, polymers and other materials and assesses and develops their engineering and commercial applications.
Particular responsibilities often include:
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other scientists
- Conduct chemical and physical analytical studies
- Reviewing product failure data
- Implementing laboratory tests
Median Wages: CAD 48.23 / hour